PDA

View Full Version : How to teach an 11 yr old PSE

kzrdog
February 25th, 2007, 06:32 PM
My 11 year old daughter (5th grade) has watched me play around with PSE and is now interested in learning how to do it herself. Does anyone have suggestions on what videos, books, tutorials etc. might be easy and interesting for her to use? She's interested in doing artsy kind of things and isn't too interested in photo retouching.

What about Matt K's Layers class? Would this be a good place for her to start?

Thanks
Barbara

kimi_boo
February 25th, 2007, 06:38 PM
When I took the layers course I made my 15 year old go thru each lesson also. She understood right away. :)

Carbone
February 25th, 2007, 06:38 PM
You could do tutorials together, or watch videos (if you're a subscriber of PET, you could search for videos about painting or creativity). I don't think there are books specifics for children but I am sure that if you sit with your child, you'll be able to teach her (and maybe learn a few tricks along the way!)

Ray

GaryK
February 25th, 2007, 06:49 PM
You might also want to check out Jay Arraich's site

http://www.arraich.com/elements/psE_intro.htm

I think he even has a book to buy for kids/schools.

Or just plunk your face on the screen and let her go nuts with the liquify filter.. kids love that one.:D

mom to 4
February 25th, 2007, 07:22 PM
Ah, Gary, you and I are agreeing on more and more. Kids love that liquify filter.

My daughter started fooling around with PSE at 14. She just told me what she wanted to do and I helped her out. She really likes scrapbooking outside of PSE, but that gave her lots of good ideas. I also picked up a "Visually" book for her. I will have to find out the name of it. Start with maybe a little collage with a colored background and go to filter>noise>add noise to give it a little texture. Then drop on a picture or two, add a stroke outside it, and maybe a drop shadow. Make sure she renames her layers so she knows what picture is on which layer. She will probably pick it up VERY quickly. Just start her off doing simple things.....she'll start asking questions. Have her browse the galleries. She will end up saying "how'd they do that?"

It'll be great.....although you may never be able to get back to YOUR computer!

GaryK
February 25th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Colleen

Mine is 17 soon to be 18 and has been using PS for a few years.

She just did one of those multi (100 or so) picture collages for her friends' B'day. She wanted to do one of the ones where all the photos were different colours and they made one big picture (mosaic??) But had some trouble getting the right hues so she just did a hue/sat on a heart shape and used that.
They just seem to pick this stuff up like nothing.:)

mrod
February 25th, 2007, 07:39 PM
My 8-year-old likes sitting with me and watching various videos in the subscriber area. I recently showed her a few of the PSE 5 ones, and she practiced on pictures of her own. We did the magic extractor, and one other one that is escaping me now. But it did give me a chance to explain the concept of layers, and a few other tools. Awhile back she also went through the Happy Face video that Matt did, and made her own.

I'd suggest choosing a simple tool and inventing a little project, or go through some of the videos and find one you think she may like, and doing it together.

Those times with my daughter are pretty special. It's really fun watching someone new get excited about stuff! Guess that's the teacher in me...:o

Mike

GaryK
February 25th, 2007, 07:44 PM
Mike

I like those times too. She will often ask me how to do something or what I think about something she is working on for her friends.

Enjoy them now.. mine is out in September and those times will be just a memory.:)

Cmcburnett
February 25th, 2007, 08:16 PM
Barbara, could be the beginning of a great career for her.:p Good luck. I think the layers class would be great beginning point for her.

mom to 4
February 25th, 2007, 08:31 PM
Gary,

Can't get my soon to be 18 year old daughter to do anything put play basketball!!! When she goes away to college, I am really going to miss her though! Don't even want to think about it! My 16 year old loves crafty sorts of things and PSE really appeals to her. Shes funny though, I go to tell her how to do something and she holds up her hand "Mom, I can figure it out myself!" But every so often, she'll ask me a question!:D I am amazed at what she can do on her own now!

GaryK
February 25th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Colleen

She is my baby, son is in University already.. going to be awful quiet this September.

Pauline
February 25th, 2007, 10:20 PM
Colleen, stop already!! Your girls sound so much like mine!! Eldest loves basketball also and just in the last few months has done work in PS (after break up with overbearing boyfriend she had time to do stuff for herself!).
16 year old is much more capable with the computer and rarely asks for help. She finds out how to do things on her own too!

What I found is that kids are pretty independant. I have all kinds of books they could reference but that's just too muich like work. They don't seem to be interested in any of the video tutorials either. They have ideas of their own and seem to do their own thing. Perhaps sit your daughter down and let her just play. Ask her what effect she is trying to get and then you could tell her how to go about it. Kids seem to need a lot less guidance than adults.

kzrdog
February 26th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Thanks for all the great ideas. I am a PET member, so I'll bring my daughter over to the video tutorial area. The videos go a little too fast for her, so I'll have to write down all the steps. She hauled out a 1" binder to put all of her notes in. So far, there's only 1 sheet of paper in it. I guess I'll have to help her find lots of tutorials to print or write down :)

Gary, I looked at Jay Arraich's site. He has a electronic book called "Elementary School 5" for PSE5. It's 598 pages and includes 112 tutorials. Sounds kind of interesting, but knowing my daughter, she'll want me to print all 598 pages! I'm afraid to think of how many ink cartridges I'd need to buy, but it sure would fill up her 1" binder fast!

Colleen mentioned the Visually books. I'll check it out next time I go to the book store. Lots of pictures without tons of text would be good for her (heck, it sounds like my kind of book).

Thanks all again
Barbara

Wendy
February 26th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Hi Barbara ...

Try the written tutorials section for her ... you should be able to print those out to go in her binder :)

Wendy

Juergen D
February 26th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Might this be of interest?
http://www.adobe.com/education/digkids/lessons/index.html

Juergen

Bayla
February 26th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Might this be of interest?
http://www.adobe.com/education/digkids/lessons/index.html

Juergen

Juergen,

Believe it or not I discovered the PET forum through the Adobe digikids site!

I think you'll find that an 11 yr old will pick up Elements very quickly, by osmosis!! I know mine did, and she isn't afraid to experiment and try out whacky things...

Bayla

Juergen D
February 26th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Bayla,

So, we are going full circle... I just knew the site was there, ran into it several times when doing searches. :)

Juergen