PDA

View Full Version : Color Replacement Tool Problem

LyndaB
February 20th, 2007, 06:28 PM
I'm trying to "repaint" some brown cabinets in a photo to make them white. I'm using the color replacement tool, alt-clicked on a plain white sheet of paper to get my color, but when I start painting the cabinets, they come out in various shades of gray. I'm using PSE4. The foreground color changed to pure white when I made my color selection. What am I not doing?

Wendy
February 20th, 2007, 06:33 PM
Hi Linda ...

It doesn't work in that way ..

What is does is replaces the existing colour with a new one but the shade (lightness or darkness) doesn't change. So if its a light pink to start with then no matter what colour you replace it with it will always be a pastel colour ... if its very dark red to begin with then no matter what colour you replace it with it will always be a dark colour.

It maybe better to try a Hue & Saturation layer instead .. :)

Wendy

LyndaB
February 20th, 2007, 07:01 PM
Wendy--Thanks for your quick response. That makes sense, but I have no idea how to do a Hue Saturation layer. Is that something you can explain without too much trouble?

Wendy
February 21st, 2007, 02:34 AM
Hi ..

First select the area youwant to change colour and the do Layer>New Adjustment Layer>Hue & Saturation ...

Then you need to experiment with the sliders ... but I am not hopeful that you will be able to get it white.

Do let me know how you go on with it :)

Wendy

Cmcburnett
February 21st, 2007, 08:31 AM
I had a dark color I was trying to make white and tried the hue saturation. I ended up with a lighter color but not white. The only way I could make white was to actually paint it white and then I lost texture and details in selection. I then added grain/texture back to selection using filters but it didn't look at original. Good luck.

LyndaB
February 21st, 2007, 04:51 PM
Wendy--I did play around with the hue/saturation layer last night and was able to figure it out. It worked pretty well. The photo was just something my daughter wanted me to do so she could see how the new colors she is planning for her kitchen would look! Nothing of any major importance--except to her! I was able to repaint the walls really well and the cabinets well enough for her to get the general effect. Thanks for your help. It's always fun to learn something new. And there is always something new to learn!

Wendy
February 21st, 2007, 05:03 PM
Hi Lynda ...

So pleased that it worked well enough for you to be able to do it :)

Wendy