PDA

View Full Version : Camera RAW images

wiggleroom
February 20th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Does Photoshop Elements 4.0 recognize and open RAW images? After getting advice that said RAW images have the most detail for enlargements, I switched to that mode on my digital camera. But since then, I have been unable to look at my photos, let alone work with them in Photoshop. I keep getting the message that Windows does not recognize the format---but why doesn't Photoshop? Does anybody know how to get around this problem? I'm hoping I don't have to buy more expensive software right away.

Chuck S.
February 20th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Wig - we'll get you going. What camera are you using? You may have to download a free update to the Adobe Camera Raw plug-in; the one that comes with PSE4 is an earlier version.

Chuck

Chuck S.
February 20th, 2007, 12:40 PM
wiggleroom, here's the link to the download of ACR version 3.6 for Windows. The directions for inserting it in the right spot on your hard drive are on the same page with the download link:

ACR 3.6 download (http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3554)

Chuck

wiggleroom
February 20th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Thanks, I'll try it. Everyone is so nice on this forum. I don't know what I'd do without it. With luck some day I will know enough to give someone else a hand. :)

Codebreaker
February 21st, 2007, 04:28 AM
Wig....

RAW images don't really have more detail for enlargements. You still have the same number of Pixels whether you shoot RAW or top quality JPEG. The big difference is in the processing.

JPEG processing is done in the camera using whatever rules the designers intend and are effected by the settings you use on the camera.

RAW processing has to be done by you. In other words you get just the colour numbers from the camera and then decide how the colours will look, how sharp the image is and other factors.

The big thing about RAW is that it can be processed (by you) to achieve things that are just not possible with JPEGS. The classic examples are adjusting for incorrect exposures and recovering blown highlights. There is more but RAW processing in Elements is a little restrictive compared with some other programs.

The typical choice a RAW begginer faces is whether or not the additional processing overhead you need to do results in a better image than the best JPEG from your camera. If you learn to use the camera effectively - specifically exposure - this difference may be minimal. On the other hand once you learn what can be done, in my opinion, there is no other way to 'fly'

Colin

Chuck S.
February 21st, 2007, 07:15 AM
RAW processing in Elements is a little restrictive compared with some other programs.

Colin, have you compared Adobe Camera Raw in its CS2 rendition with other raw processors? Just curious as to whether there are some other choices out there that should be considered.

Thanks.

Chuck

Codebreaker
February 21st, 2007, 07:30 AM
Hi Chuck....

Not seriously.

In terms of processing quality I prefer ACR/LR to the original Canon DPP. It seemed to handle subtle tone changes like skies better. The latest DPP is just as good I think.

Bibble was OK as well.

In terms of workflow and capability Bibble was OK but felt a little 'old' with respect to the GUI and not overly intuitive but then I'm having a few minor issues with LR. I guess if you stick with it, it gets better.

Canons DPP I could never get to grips with using.

Colin