PDA

View Full Version : Hdr

cstern
February 18th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Does anyone know if you can merge 3 of the same pictures into one to create an HDR picture?

If not, do you anticipate this feature being in Elements 6?

douglas m scott
February 18th, 2007, 10:38 AM
Chris,
I did a google search. It looks like you need pictures in 32Bit, Elements doesn"t support that. You might download a trial copy of CS2. Doug

TonyW
February 18th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Chris,
I did a google search. It looks like you need pictures in 32Bit, Elements doesn"t support that. You might download a trial copy of CS2. Doug

Doug - that's the bit I never quite understand - in that cameras only shoot in 12 bits and printers and monitors (at least mine) only display or print 8 bits what can you actually do with a 32 bit HDR image except store it :confused: . I have combined three differently exposed images in Elements and it might not be true HDR but it certainly looked better than the original :)

Tony

epaul6
February 18th, 2007, 11:40 AM
Mark Galer's Pse Maximum Performance has a tut on HDR (pg 164-171). The book comes with a DVD (not CD) which has some layer style presets that come with the DVD that mimic advanced blending modes in PS. This book is all about making photos there very best. If you shoot RAW he does quite a bit of his picture editing in the 16 bit converter before his export to editor for other 8 bit adjustments.

lruther1
February 18th, 2007, 08:20 PM
A work around I've successfully emplyed in elements is to drop all the pictures onto the 1 needing the least amount of change, then insert a clipping mask between each layer. Paint with black to hide what's below and white to reveal. More than 2-3 exposures gets really difficult. I bought a fotomatix program to merge multiple exposures and am very happy with the time savings. Would love to see HDR in future releases elements.

Medic1210
February 18th, 2007, 08:33 PM
What are you guys doing to blend the three pics together? Is it just a matter of painting the shadows from the over exposed image and the highlights from the under exposed image onto the correctly exposed image? If this is the case, can you just shoot RAW and output 3 separate exposures to function as your three images? I guess I'm missing what you're talking about or what the benefit of it is. What blend modes do you use on each layer?:confused:

lruther1
February 19th, 2007, 12:38 AM
High Dynamic Range is useful in situations where a neutral grad filter won't work; such as a mountain in shadow against a bright sky. You can't hold back the sky without further shading mountain. If there's not too many stops between the brightest and darkest parts of photo shooting raw would work. Really a tripod is needed and taking multiple exposures of the same scene and blending them. Film/digital can only record a fraction of the f stops the human eye can see. Using HDR will yield a photo with detail from shadow to highlight.