PDA

View Full Version : PE5 vs PE4

Robert P
February 12th, 2007, 03:20 PM
[Hi, I've been thinking I would like to upgrade from Elements 4 to 5 but I was wondering if it's necessary to use the Organizer in 5? I have all my photos in my PE4 Organizer and with the problems others seem to encounter, I do not want to move the catalog. If I keep 4 on my computer would I still be able to use it's photo downloader and Organizer?. Would I need to make some preference changes to do this? I really only want to use PE5 to edit my photos.. etc.
Thanks, rjpand rgp

kimi_boo
February 12th, 2007, 03:25 PM
I went from 4 to 5 and I am very happy with my decision. :D
There is no problem with moving your catalog from one to the other. The program does it all by itself. There have been some problems moving to an external hard drive. But I did that with no problems also.

AmberLV
February 12th, 2007, 03:32 PM
I am so glad that I upgraded to 5.0! If you want to keep your catalog in 4.0, then maybe you could make a copy of it and just move one of them to 5.0.

Cmcburnett
February 12th, 2007, 04:28 PM
I just upgraded from 4 to 5 also. I am keeping both on my computer for a while and have had no problems w/organizer. Good luck.

Carlo.Santos
February 12th, 2007, 04:40 PM
I was looking at the PS5 to maybe upgrade but I didn't see much difference between the 2 to justify the cost.

For those of you who upgraded to 5, would you say that there is a markedly improvement over the 4?

Here is a comparison chart between past and present PSE versions. http://simplephotoshop.com/photoshop_elements/photoshopelements3vs2vs1.htm

NickLewis
February 12th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Hi, and welcome to the forum :) ,

There shouldn't be any problem with PSE5's Organiser. As Kimi says, don't confuse "moving" your catalog or images from one place to another with converting your catalog from PSE4 format to PSE5.

PSE5 will convert your old catalog automatically the first time you try to open it in the new software. But it will make a safety copy before doing so, which you can still access in PSE4.

Have a look at this post, substituting PSE for the references to Album...:
http://www.photoshopelementsuser.com/forum/showpost.php?p=215495&postcount=2

Nick

Robert P
February 13th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Hi, Niki, I just printed out your instructions. Seems easy enough, BUT , I DO have a Catalog on an External HD as well as on my Int. HD.I don't keep the int. Catalog up to date, that is I save my photos to the ext. one to save Int. HD space. I use the photo
downloader and have it set for my Ext. HD (Preference) but sometimes it will put the photos in my int. HD?? I then copy them to the Ext. HD. Confusing I know but I always worry about losing anything. I have many discs (DVD) with folders on , just in case. I also make 2 copies so my daughter has one in case of a catatorphe, which I hope never happens.
Still have to decide if the upgrade is worth the trouble.
Thanks a million to you all for your advice.
rjpandrgp

NickLewis
February 14th, 2007, 09:07 AM
Hi Robert,

I don't really understand what you mean.

The catalog doesn't actually store your photos. The catalog is like an index card system, which records information about your photos. The photos themselves are stored independently on your hard drive.

As a result the catalog file is very small - it doesn'ttake up any significant amount of hard disc space. It is the photo file sthemselves which are space hogs.

If you are clear what you are doing, fair enough, but I'd advise caution in running multiple catalogs addressing teh same images, some of which are on the internal, and some on the external drive.

It would be very easy to get confused about what's going on.......

Nick

Robert P
February 15th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Hi Niki, thanks for the advice. I guess what I am trying to say, is that I am keeping my main catalog version on my EHD in case of a crash or some disaster like that. I see what you mean by confusion with 2 catalogs. I could install V5 and not open my EHD and just let it be as is. That way I would only have the int. HD version running. I would have to look up anthing on either catalog but I don't do that too often. I assume the V5 downloader would supercede the V4? The photos (or rather thumbnails) would then go to the updated Organizer.

Thanks for your advice, Bob