PDA

View Full Version : Draw circle on photo

sweyhrich
January 22nd, 2007, 02:21 PM
An old post in this forum (from 2004) regarding this makes mention of selecting the "oval tool" to draw a circle on a picture. Photoshop Elements 4 (Mac version) doesn't seem to have an oval tool. The trick I was taught the last time I was here (draw with the marquee tool, then use "Stroke (outline) seletion)" works somewhat, but if I want to resize the circle, it takes the item within the marquee selection and resizes THAT also, deforming it in the process.

I just need to draw a transparent red circle around someone in an old group photo, and have the ability to resize it if I don't get the best size on my first effort. How is that done in PE4/Mac? Thanks in advance!

kimi_boo
January 22nd, 2007, 02:27 PM
do you want a filled circle or just the outline of a circle?

kimi_boo
January 22nd, 2007, 02:33 PM
OK... reread your post. If you have your circle and it is set to the opacity you want? And you have your stroke set like you want. Hide everything else in your layer palette by clicking the eye off. When you have just those two layer showing, highlight the top one and hit Ctrl E to merge it down.
Then all you have to do is hit Ctrl T and free transform it.

sweyhrich
January 22nd, 2007, 04:45 PM
Hi!

I very much appreciate the reply, but I still don't know which tool to use on my Mac version of Photoshop Elements 4.0 that will let me draw a circle on a photo (I want to draw a circle around somebody). I have a rectangular and circular marquee tool, but I can't find an "oval tool". I can use the ellipse tool to draw a disc that totally obliterates the person I'm trying to draw a circle around, but that doesn't meet my needs. Think of using a red Sharpee marker to draw a circle on a photo. That's what I want to be able to do.

Wendy
January 22nd, 2007, 04:56 PM
Hi ...

Just get the Elliptical Marquee and use it to make a circle ...
Next create a new layer. Layer>New Layer
then choose your colour and stroke the selection Edit>Stroke Selection.

Now ... it you want to resize the circle you will be able to as it is on its own layer. That means you won't distort anything else :)

Hope this helps ...

Wendy

sweyhrich
January 22nd, 2007, 05:33 PM
Wendy,

I used the Eliptical marquee tool to make a circle, and then made a new layer as you suggested. When I do the Edit>Stroke (Outline) Selection, and select my color, opacity, thickness, etc. I don't see anything appear. When I select that dotted oval I made with the Elipitical Marquee tool, I can move it away, just as if I used a scissors to cut a circle out of the picture (and it deforms also).

What did I do wrong?

JulieM
January 22nd, 2007, 05:52 PM
I'm pretty new to this too and have encountered similar problems before. I thought I'd try to follow along with Wendy's directions and see what happened for me. At first, I found I duplicated your problem. What resolved it for me was to uncheck the "auto select layer" box after selecting the move tool but before attempting to move the circle. Maybe this will work for you? I'll keep my fingers crossed...

Juergen D
January 22nd, 2007, 06:27 PM
Try this. Create a new layer, not a duplicate, on top of the layer where the person is who you want to put the circle around. The new layer should be transparent (checkerboard pattern). Be sure that layer is active. Hold the shift key and, with the Elliptical Marquee Tool selected, draw your circle. Select the desired foreground color. Go >Edit >Stroke (using an appropriate number of pixels) and hit OK.
Now you can use the Move Tool to position the circle or to change its size (drag or push on one of the outline corners).

HTH
Juergen

douglas m scott
January 22nd, 2007, 07:24 PM
Try this
Open Picture
Select Marquee Tool > look just above picture window and there will be 4 (box) Icons, click the one on left (new selection).
Click the left mouse button where you want to start the Selection then hold down Shift key and drag out your Selection.
Now make new layer Layer>New>Layer
now go to Edit>Stroke(outline)Selection--
Width= maybe 10px
Color= Red
Location= maybe inside
Opacity= your choice, maybe 100 -----click OK
You should now be able to see your Red circle.
If you need to resize click Ctrl+T and Place cursor at corner of box around selection until the two ended arrow appears and click and hold down the Shift key to retain proportions while you drag. If you need to reposition whole Circle, place cursor in middle of box and click and drag.
When it is sized and positioned right if you are finished editing picture go to Layer>Flatten Image. ----------File>Save AS (give new name) Doug

douglas m scott
January 22nd, 2007, 07:26 PM
OOps,
Took me so long to compose my reply Others had already replied. Doug

sweyhrich
January 22nd, 2007, 09:46 PM
I appreciate the answers! I tried Juergen's suggestion, and the marquee selection on the new layer wouldn't work, since "no pixels were selected".

Douglas' series of instructions was the most complete, and it definitely results in a circle around my subject. Pressing command-T (I'm on a Mac; I'll just have to remember to translate "Ctrl-(letter)" to "command-(letter)" when I read answers on this forum) executes a "free transform". This seems to disconnect the selection box from the red circle (actually oval) that I've drawn, and although I can move the selection box, it does not change the red circle. It's as if it the "free transform" command just painted the oval on the layer, and then disconnected the selection box from the oval.

So, we've ALMOST GOT IT. What else am I missing?

Wendy
January 23rd, 2007, 03:19 AM
Hi ...

Try this ..

Create a new file File>New>Blank File ... 500 pixels x 500 pixels resolution 72 RGS white background.
Select red as your foreground colour
Then get the Elliptical Marquee Tool and make an oval
Next create a new layer Layer>New>Layer
(your marching ants ... the dotted line ... should still be there)
... and do Edit>Stroke(Outline) Selection 10 pixels, Inside, Mode: Normal, Opacity: 100 %
Now Deselect ... Select>Deselect

Go to your Layers Palette and you should see that you have two layers. A background white layer and another layer that has a red oval on it.

Next do Image>Transform>Free Transform and a box will appear around your image (its called the bounding box) there are small square handles in the middle of each line and at the corners ... just use those to change the shape of the oval.

Try it on a new file as I know those sizes will work just fine then once you manage that OK then try it on your photo ... :)

Wendy

JulieM
January 23rd, 2007, 05:41 AM
Under free transform you have 3 options; rotate, scale, and skew. The shape or size of the oval will be transformable only under scale and skew (and rotate will only rotate it...). Perhaps you have rotate checked?

Juergen D
January 23rd, 2007, 07:48 AM
I appreciate the answers! I tried Juergen's suggestion, and the marquee selection on the new layer wouldn't work, since "no pixels were selected".

Are you trying to copy the selection to a new layer? That would not work and would give the warning. Otherwise, it should work just fine... :)

Juergen

Wendy
January 23rd, 2007, 09:00 AM
Hi Julie ...

If you just click on free transform then you are able to transform in any direction ... :)

Wendy

JulieM
January 23rd, 2007, 09:12 AM
Thanks, Wendy, for pointing that out! I thought maybe it reverted back to a previous setting like some tools do. :o

sweyhrich
January 23rd, 2007, 09:42 AM
Hi ...

Create a new file File>New>Blank File ... 500 pixels x 500 pixels resolution 72 RGS white background.
Select red as your foreground colour
Then get the Elliptical Marquee Tool and make an oval
Next create a new layer Layer>New>Layer
(your marching ants ... the dotted line ... should still be there)
... and do Edit>Stroke(Outline) Selection 10 pixels, Inside, Mode: Normal, Opacity: 100 %
Now Deselect ... Select>Deselect

Go to your Layers Palette and you should see that you have two layers. A background white layer and another layer that has a red oval on it.

Next do Image>Transform>Free Transform and a box will appear around your image (its called the bounding box) there are small square handles in the middle of each line and at the corners ... just use those to change the shape of the oval.

Try it on a new file as I know those sizes will work just fine then once you manage that OK then try it on your photo ... :)

Wendy

That must have been the magic incantation, as it worked not only on the white background blank page, but now also works (and is resizeable) on my photo. The only step that I was perhaps not doing before was the "deselect" step. I don't know if that is why I could move the boundary box and the circle was left behind, but in any case, your nicely described steps did the trick! Thanks so much!

kimi_boo
January 23rd, 2007, 09:43 AM
Sounds like you would benefit from the Layers Course offered here. It is a great class. You get one lesson a day for 21 days with 3 bonus lessons. You learn about how layers work and a whole lot more. It is all done in video form so you can see what they are clicking on. You don't have to subscribe to take it. I loved it.:D

http://www.photoshopelementsuser.com/training_courses/layers.html

You could also subscribe and have access to all of the videos immediately.

sweyhrich
January 23rd, 2007, 09:49 AM
Sounds like you would benefit from the Layers Course offered here. It is a great class. You get one lesson a day for 21 days with 3 bonus lessons. You learn about how layers work and a whole lot more. It is all done in video form so you can see what they are clicking on. You don't have to subscribe to take it. I loved it.:D

http://www.photoshopelementsuser.com/training_courses/layers.html

I'll have to check that out. I _know_ I'm only using a fraction of the power Photoshop Elements has to offer.

kimi_boo
January 23rd, 2007, 10:12 AM
You will be amazed at what you can do after the 21 days are over. :D

Wendy
January 23rd, 2007, 05:20 PM
Hi ...

That is great news ... so glad that you are now able to do it :)

Wendy

Cmcburnett
January 23rd, 2007, 08:21 PM
I never knew a circle could be so hard:rolleyes: Very interesting thread, I'll have to put this one in my notebook for future reference.