PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning up an old matte photo from a scan

slboehm
January 17th, 2007, 05:25 PM
Does anybody know any good tricks for reducing the number of "bumps" in an image that was created from a scan of an old matte photo?

I tried blurring (gausian blur and such), but there wasn't enough detail to make this technique work for my picture.

Thanks

Wendy
January 17th, 2007, 05:34 PM
Hi ...

Sounds like you maybe talking about a textured photograph .. if possible then it would be better if you could let us see it.

If you donlt have webspace then you could always use http://www.pixentral.com/index.php

Wendy :)

Chuck S.
January 17th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Wendy, that matte or textured surface on prints was very popular in the US for several decades; they were sold on the basis of not showing fingerprints, a problem with glossy prints. Unfortunately, they're awful candidates for scanning.

I vaguely recall seeing a method for dealing with matte finish photos in Photoshop - will Google for it.

Chuck

Wendy
January 17th, 2007, 07:54 PM
Chuck ...

I seem to remember some instructions from Flora over on RetouchPRO :)

Wendy

slboehm
January 17th, 2007, 08:47 PM
I will look into that web page and post the print for you to see. Thanks for the suggestion about Flora, I will google that as well to see what I can find.
I will post back when I get the print uploaded

Cmcburnett
January 17th, 2007, 08:50 PM
I have a few matt finish photos from 60s and 70s and haven't tackled them yet. I'm still scanning in pictures from the 20s to 40s, so have a way to go. But it will be interesting to see if anyone comes up with an answer.

Daviskw
January 17th, 2007, 09:29 PM
Hi there.

Many ways to lessen or remove paper textures

To start if your scanner has a descreen feature try using it. It is designed to reduce or eliminate just such a problem.

Also try scanning your picture at an angle. Some people scan twice in opposite directions and combine the scans in Elements using blend modes. You can always experiment.

Also sometimes scanning at a higher resolution then you need then reducing the size can help. To do this you use zoom to slowly zoom out until the moiré is reduced making note of the zoom percent. Then using image size reduce the picture size by that percent. Then resample back up… this will soften the moiré.

The best way is to use a special filter on your picture. They go by different names…FFT… Frequency Domain Filter. They can be plug-ins or stand alone programs. I use Image Analyzer, it is a free stand alone program. It is a good one but with little help.

The FFT filters will do the best job and are worth the trouble if you scan a lot of photos with paper texture.

Butch

Wendy
January 18th, 2007, 04:34 AM
Hi ...

Here is one of the tutorials that Flora did ... it is for photoshop but it should give you some ideas :)

http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=140

Wendy