PDA

View Full Version : Basic Save Question

dbahn
October 17th, 2006, 10:27 AM
I know this is very basic, but I'm trying to created a colored border on an image so that the image will appear transparent on a colored web page. I've used the paint brush, selected a feathered looking brush, picked a color with the same R,G,B numbers as the web page, then outlined the image. In the Editor, I then get this image:
http://www.wingsovermont.com/fog.jpg
which is basically what I want to use.

How do I make the next step, or can it be done in one step? If I simply "Save" it, it reverts back to the crawling ants selection, and saves as the original image. This may be the wrong sequence to even do what I'm trying to accomplish, but it did seem to be working...

msbrad
October 17th, 2006, 10:31 AM
OK, I'm certainly not the best expert around, but if you are gettin the marching ants back, it is possible you have not de-selected an active area.
ctrl+d when the ants are there.
Your image should save as a whole.
m

Wendy
October 17th, 2006, 10:36 AM
Hi Dave ...

... and welcome to the forum :)

That way should work ... you should simple then be able to do Save As and give it a new name.

However you could also try it this way ..

Use one of the selection tools to select the area you want to have showing on your website ... (then do Select>Feather and play with the settings if you want a soft edge)
Next to Edit>Copy to put it on its own layer (go to the layers palette and take a look at it)
While you are in the layers palette .. switch off the eyeball next to the background layer and you will see how it will look on your website.
To save it use Save for Web and select gif ... that will save it with a transparent background.

Wendy :)

dbahn
October 17th, 2006, 10:51 AM
Wendy, I think I'm way too new at this to go the transparency route, and also I'd like to preserve the colors using JPEG. What's frustrating is that I did it once, and played around with it on this web page (http://www.wingsovermont.com/Stock.html), where it seems to work, but you can still see wisps of the original image where it wasn't completely changed in color.

graficalicus
October 17th, 2006, 11:00 AM
Definitely the Save for Web option - with the layers as Wendy mentioned. I wouldn't use gif for a photograph, though - it'll limit the color palette to 256, and (probably) result in a much larger filesize than jpg.

Using jpg is a trade-off between quality & filesize, remember. You can use the Save for Web feature to reduce the dimensions of an image destined for the web (which will also reduce the filesize with a higher quality) and just the settings.

to see what I mean, toggle between Low, medium & High quality settings in the dialog (you'll see it when you get there) and examine the difference in quality in the preview window.

Cool photo, BTW!

dbahn
October 17th, 2006, 11:17 AM
It's also a small image size, so the file size won't matter much on the whole web page. My problem still seems to be saving it with the color change along the border, though. I'm probably missing something very basic.

msbrad
October 17th, 2006, 11:30 AM
You do have some cool pictures from above.
m

Wendy
October 17th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Hi Dave ...

Where you can see the wisps of colour its probably just where you missed those when you painted with the paint brush ... just go over them again and it should be just fine.

I suspect that you are saving it somewhere else by accident and its not really reverting to the original. Try this ... do Save As at the top of the box that pops up give it a new name. Just under that is where you want to save it to ... change that to say your desktop then down at the botton change the format to jpg. Then click on Save.

Your new image should now be saved on your desktop ... :)

Wendy

dbahn
October 17th, 2006, 08:30 PM
Thanks again for the help. I think I found a better way to do it, or else I was just doing it completely wrong in the first place. I kept the image as the background, added a fill layer of matching color, then used the brush to erase the top layer. After that it saves to its correct destination without any problem. Here's (http://www.wingsovermont.com/Stock.html) the corrected page with the changes in place.

I've still got a long way to go, though. Glad there are people here to help!!!!