PDA

View Full Version : How did I do it?

Andyd
September 11th, 2006, 06:13 PM
Some time ago I was following (so I thought) directions in Scott Kelby’s book on using color for emphasis. I wanted to do it again and got confused. In his book the directions show you how to “paint away” the color. I had it done where I painted away the black & white so the color would show. How did I do it that way? It is a little easier to paint the part I want the color to show through.

Can you understand my rambling?

Thanks,

Andy

Wendy
September 11th, 2006, 06:26 PM
Hi Andy ...

There are a couple of tutorials on this effect in th subscriber area ... If you go to the Subscriber Area>Tutorials you will find them both one is "Selective Colouring" and the other "Black & White Image with just a hint of colour".

Both of them paint away the B&W to show the colour ...

They should help you :)

Wendy

kayser
September 11th, 2006, 07:09 PM
Hi Andy- THere have been 'lots of posts about this. Here's one recent one:

Hi- I'm not sure if you want the whole photo black and white or want to make just part of it black and white and leave the flowers or something in color (a popular technique for wedding pictures!) If you're talking about selective coloring, try this (a technique described in various posts on the forum):

Start with copy of your photo. Add a hue/saturation adjustment layer. (in the layers palette it's the one with the half black, half white circle. Select hue/saturation. Now take the saturation slider and slide it all the way to the left to desaturate your photo.

When you close this you will end up with a layer mask to the right of the little h/s box. Select this mask and pick a brush, and paint with black on the mask where you want to hide the saturation effect. In otherwords, where you want the areas to be colored paint with black. Make sure that you have selected the mask first and that you are on the hue/saturation layer. If you make a mistake, you simply paint with white. To have a partial effect you can lower the opacity of your brush.

If that's not what you mean, post back, and we'll try to help!

Andyd
September 11th, 2006, 08:50 PM
Thanks Kayser,

I think that is what I did. Nothing near the directions I had, so I'm not sure where I was doing it. Like many things here in PSE there are many ways to get the same thing done.